Call to Schedule Your Consultation

Top Denver, CO Area Divorce Lawyers

Denver Unmarried Parents Attorney

Unmarried Parents

Protecting the Children of Unwed Clients in Colorado

Pesch Law Office PC works with unmarried parents facing child-related issues such as child support and parental responsibilities. We understand that no two families are alike, which is why we represent all kinds of families, including traditional and non-traditional ones. That is another reason why we work with our clients on a one-on-one basis to ensure we can provide the best, tailored representation possible to suit you and your family’s unique needs.

Child Custody for Unmarried Parents

Our attorney understands the importance of looking out for the well-being of your child. We are your trusted advocates in your parenting arrangement, and we will always seek out a fair resolution that is in the best interest of your child.

Common Issues Unmarried Parents May Face

It is common for parents to have children outside of marriage. In Colorado, unwed parents have the same rights as married parents do, although there can be strategic differences as to how custody cases are handled between unmarried parents.

Some issues that unwed parents might face regarding child custody orders include:

  • Determining custody when one parent has been absent from the child’s life
  • Questions regarding paternity – this does not necessarily need to be established to obtain parental responsibilities
  • Seeking spousal and/or child support

Establishing Paternity Rights

Paternity refers to the legal relationship between a father and his biological or adopted child. When parents are not married and have a child, additional legal measures must be taken to obtain paternity rights.

Establishing paternity guarantees the child will have access to the same legal benefits and rights as he/she would if his/her parents were married.

These benefits include:

  • Health care
  • Social Security
  • Military survivor’s benefits
  • Additional employer-provided perks
  • Child support – without paternity, a father does not legally have to provide for his child financially
  • Child custody – paternity protects a father’s right to seek visitation/parenting time and be involved in his child’s life

How to File a Paternity Action in Colorado

Colorado allows either parent to file a paternity action. You can move forward with this action whenever you like, however, you must do so before the child turns 18.

Fill out a contact form online or give us call us at 303-567-7922 to help you with your unmarried parents issue today.

Pesch Law Office PC


730 17th Street, #700, Denver, CO 80202

Back to Top